Volunteering · Donating Items to the Collection
Become a member
The Printing Museum is a nonprofit organization that relies on a variety of funding sources for its activities. The combined generosity of the Trustees, Museum Members, and visitors, as well as that of corporate, foundation, government, and individual donors, sustains the Museum's programs and activities. This support enables the Museum of Printing History to share its collection and programs with thousands of visitors from around the world each year.
Join The Printing Museum or Renew Your Membership Today!
Join or Renew In-Person
Stop by the Museum Gift Shop Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Join or Renew by Phone
Call 713-522-4652 to join or renew using a major credit card.
Join or Renew by Mail or Fax
Print out our Membership Form (PDF), fill it in, and fax to 713-522-5694. You may also mail the form with a check to:The Printing Museum
1324 West Clay
Houston, TX 77019
Membership Levels and BenefitsIndividual $50 annually (100% tax-deductible)
- Unlimited free admission to the Museum
- All mailings, including invitations to exhibition openings
- 10% discount at The Printing Museum Gift Shop
- 10% discount on class tuition
- Free admission to annual Houston Book Fair
- Same as Individual Membership
- Same as Individual Membership plus free admission for two to a single Public Printing Tour
- Individual benefits for two adults and all children ages 18 and younger living in the same household
- All Individual benefits, plus:
- A special, limited edition, printed item produced in one of the Museum’s working studios
- Annual acknowledgement on the Museum's website
- All Sponsor benefits, plus:
- Invitations to private Museum functions
- Name plaque on Lobby Donor Wall
- All Patron benefits, plus:
- Private VIP tour of Museum of Printing History for friends and family
- Eligibility to rent the Museum at a reduced rate for private functions
Additional Categories for Giving
To contribute any amount, click the Donate button. This will take you to the PayPal website.
The Collector’s Group promotes understanding and appreciation of the important historical collections at The Printing Museum through providing support for collection development and the preservation of fragile materials. Once a year, members vote for acquisitions to be funded with Collector’s Group membership dues. General Museum membership, at any level, is required. Annual dues for Collector’s Group membership are $250. Members of the Collector’s Group receive: a letterpress printed premium, such as a set of bookplates, notecards, or bookmarks; name plaque on the Lobby Donor Wall; and the satisfaction of knowing their contribution and participation make a real difference.
Harry Benson "Ben Franklin" Memorial Education Fund
A founding member of the Museum’s Board of Directors, Harry Benson is affectionately remembered as “Ben Franklin”. Often dressed in period costume, Benson visited schools, church groups, and libraries as a way to educate people of all ages about the history of printing. A graduate of University of Houston, Benson held prominent positions in the printing industry, in addition to teaching at University of Houston and area community colleges. He was dedicated to education, and printing history was his passion. Gifts to this fund will help support the Museum’s educational programming.
Bader Type Collection Fund
This endowment is based on an initial donation made to the Museum by Rev. Edward A. Bader CSB, in the name of his parents Edward and Anita Bader. Gifts to the Bader Type Collection Fund will help support the Museum’s efforts to develop and maintain the significant collection of wood and metal type. The Museum has begun a major project in the summer of 2009, called the Type Initiative, to catalog and preserve this impressive type collection.
Several membership levels provide corporations, large and small, with an opportunity to support the Museum and receive special recognition and benefits, including reduced or free rentals and individual memberships for employees. For more information, please contact Alexandria Hodge at 713-522-4652 ext. 209.
Nonprofit and Community Organizational Membership
Membership is available to non-profit organizations whose purpose relates to the mission and purpose of the Museum, or which serves our neighbors who reside in the immediate geographic area of the Museum. Annual Dues for Organization Membership is $400 for twelve months. Please contact Adele Avivi at 713-522-4652, ext. 203 for more information
- Individual membership in the Museum for the President of the organization.
- Use of the Museum’s meeting facilities, including a 65 seat theater, between 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. for membership meetings up to twelve times a year, for a fee of $50/meeting.
- Use of the Museum’s audio visual equipment, for meetings held at the Museum, when available.
The Museum of Printing History offers volunteer opportunities in several areas of responsibility, such as grant writing, education & outreach, graphic design, and collections management. While these positions are unpaid, interns and volunteers will receive valuable experience in a Museum setting.
Donating Items to the Collection
The Museum's collection continues to grow, both in quality and importance because of generous donors who want to preserve their valuable artifacts and make them available for others to enjoy. Currently, the Museum is in a “collections moratorium” and not accepting donations until 2016. If you feel you have an object that would benefit the Museum, please contact Keelin Burrows, Curator, 713-522-4652, ext. 207
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday - Saturday